The Executive Director is the public face for Sea Turtle Inc. (STI) and is responsible for inspiring
a belief in the vision and mission of STI. He/She must possess a deep passion for marine
conservation. Primary duties include being responsible for overall management and operations of the organization, its facilities and programs in accordance with the mission and charter of organization and at the direction of the Board of Directors. The Executive Director ensures the smooth function of the organization’s operations, including fundraising, marketing, education and outreach, and conservation programs. The Executive Director is responsible for the human resources at STI including full time, part time and volunteer staff. The Executive Director will maintain a professional and collaborative relationship with the Board of Directors. This job requires residency in the Rio Grande Valley region of Texas.
Open To Apply Until Filled
This position is responsible for the daily duties of exhibit husbandry under the guidance and supervision of the Animal Health Department. General areas of responsibility are: Water quality, diet prep, and life support.
Deadline To Apply: August 14, 2020
Conservation Intern (3 positions)
Sea Turtle, Inc. is looking for three interns to assist the Conservation Department with all activities related to the 2021 sea turtle nesting season. Interns will work with our conservation team to patrol, excavate, relocate, and protect sea turtle nests. Interns will also participate in overnight shifts to assist with sea turtle hatching activity. The ideal candidate will have great interest in field conservation and must be extremely comfortable working in adverse weather conditions at irregular hours. Internship period: March 2021 through August 2021.
The Sea Turtle, Inc. Conservation Intern responsibilities include:
- Conducting ATV patrols 4-5 times per week in adverse weather conditions including high winds, direct sunlight, high heat, and humidity
- Tagging and collecting morphological data on sea turtle nesting females
- Assisting with excavating and relocating sea turtle nests
- Assisting in finding, retrieving, and documenting stranded sea turtles
- Camping overnight to assist with sea turtle hatching activity, including excavation, data collection, and hatchling releases
- Assisting Conservation Department with other duties and responsibilities related to the field conservation program
Education Intern (2 positions)
Sea Turtle, Inc. is looking for two interns to assist the Education Department and enhance the visitor experience at our facility. The ideal candidate will have a great interest in informal Environmental Education. This internship involves daily interaction with the public. Internship period: March 2021 through August 2021.
The Sea Turtle, Inc. Education Intern responsibilities include:
- Giving presentations in our outdoor amphitheater to groups of over 100, ranging from pre-k to senior citizens, and answering visitor questions
- Working in the museum area and rehabilitation center as exhibit interpreters
- Assisting visitors with various exploration stations
- Providing supplemental information on the life history and behaviors of sea turtles
- Interpreting rehabilitation procedures and feeding techniques to the public
- Assisting with and conducting outreach programs for people of all ages, in schools and for various community groups
- Developing and executing an applicable program or project to enhance the education efforts of our facility
- This position also includes assisting both our Marketing Department and Gift Shop. Duties include but are not limited to promoting membership and adoption packages, assisting with social media content including Facebook Live videos, assisting with special events at the facility, operating registers, and pricing and restocking inventory.
rehab Intern (2 positions)
Sea Turtle, Inc. is looking for two interns to assist the Rehabilitation & Husbandry Department in our daily operations. Interns will have the opportunity to learn sea turtle rehabilitation methods and techniques through hands-on experiences, working directly with our rehab staff. Daily responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, feeding our residents and patients, food preparation, tank cleaning, and facility upkeep. Interns will also learn how to assist our rehab staff with medical treatments and surgical procedures. Internship period: March 2021 through August 2021.
The Sea Turtle, Inc. Rehab Intern responsibilities include:
- Feeding our resident sea turtles, rehab patients, and fish
- Monitoring animal appetite and general behavior
- Preparing food according to staff instructions
- Performing daily water quality on our resident and rehab tanks
- Assisting with new patient admittance and daily rehab procedures including stranding forms, restraint, calculating and administering medications, cold laser therapy, tube feeding, in-house blood work, applying PIT tags, and keeping medical records
- Assisting with on-site surgery and necropsies as needed
- Responding to and transporting live and dead sea turtle strandings
- Tank sanitation: skimming tanks and cleaning as needed while paying close attention to quarantine protocols
- Assist with mass cold stranding events which typically consists of multiple days in a row of 10-12 + hour workdays
- Facility upkeep: laundry, restocking, picking up trash, and cleaning as needed
- Complete an intern project and present it to staff at the end of the internship